FDNY Engine 10 Ladder 10 History
FDNY Ten House, Engine Company 10 and Ladder Company 10, 124 Liberty Street, is across the street from the World Trade Center site. The Ten House is one of only two of the 220 FDNY firehouses that house an engine and ladder company with the same numbers. FDNY Engine Company 52 and Ladder Company 52 are housed together in the Bronx.
This firehouse was built in 1979. Engine Company 10 was formed 9/8/1865. Its first location was at 28 Beaver Street, and after various locations and a number of years was brought here to 124 Liberty street on 6/11/1980. Ladder Company 10 was formed 10/20/1865. Its first location was at 28 Ann Street, and after many years and numerous locations was brought to Liberty street on 7/1/1984.
The two companies were displaced a few months after 9/11/2001, but the firehouse remained the command center for the remaining time of recovery. Engine 10 and Ladder 10 remained in service but were relocated to neighboring companies. This firehouse was then rebuilt and on 11/5/2003 "Tenhouse” was reopened.
Press Release 11/5/2003:
Two-Year, $3.5 Million Repair and Renovation Marks Final Piece of Fire Department’s Rebuilding Effort Since September 11, 2001
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta today joined hundreds of members of the New York City Fire Department to cut the ribbon on the newly renovated quarters of Engine 10 and Ladder 10 (“Ten House”) in Lower Manhattan. The Ten House, located on Liberty Street directly across from where the World Trade Center stood, suffered significant damage and was nearly destroyed on September 11, 2001. The $3.5 million repair project took more than two years to complete and was funded in part by a $1.5 million grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
"The re-opening of the Ten House is the final brick in the Fire Department’s rebuilding efforts after the devastation of September 11th,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “Since that horrible day, the department has sworn in more than 2,100 probationary firefighters, promoted a new generation of leadership, and replaced more than 92 key pieces of equipment, including engines, ladder trucks and ambulances. The reopening of the Ten House marks the close of an important chapter in the history of the Fire Department, one filled with triumph and tragedy. While we celebrate this achievement, we will never forget the 343 firefighters we lost only steps from here.”
"Although it suffered heavy damage in the September 11th terrorist attack, this building's foundation – like the foundation of this department – stood firm," said Fire Commissioner Scoppetta. “Today we celebrate not only the return of the members of Engine 10 and Ladder 10 to their home here on Liberty Street, but a significant moment in the rebuilding of our department and the revitalization of this community.”
On September 11, 2001, five members from the Ten House made the supreme sacrifice. Lieutenant Gregg Atlas, Firefighter Jeffrey Olsen, Firefighter Paul Pansini were from Engine 10, and Lieutenant Stephen Harrell and Firefighter Sean Tallon were from Ladder 10.
As the towers collapsed, tons of building debris fell onto the firehouse and forced its way into it, blowing out windows and doors and causing extensive damage to the facade, interior structures, utilities, lighting and the roof. Inside the firehouse, the apparatus floor was flooded with over three feet of debris and in some areas in and around the firehouse the debris from the collapse was nearly six feet deep. The building’s ventilation system, air conditioning units and Nederman exhaust system were completely destroyed.
Although it was unable to be used as a firehouse after the collapse of the towers, the quarters of Engine 10 and Ladder 10 nevertheless played a vital role in the daily operations at ground zero. During the early days of the rescue and recovery operations and even during the clean up of the site, the Ten House was used as a rest and recuperation station as well as a command post for fire department operations at the site. Since September 11, 2001 both Engine and Ladder 10 have been temporarily quartered in nearby firehouses. Engine 10 was stationed at the quarters of Engine 7 and Ladder 1 on Duane Street and Ladder 10 at the quarters of Engine 4 and Ladder 15 on South Street.
Both Engine 10 and Ladder 10 were organized from Volunteer Fire Companies in 1865 and each had several homes before being brought together at Liberty Street in 1984.
NEW YORK MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG AND FIRE COMMISSIONER NICHOLAS SCOPPETTA ATTEND THE RE-OPENING OF ENGINE 10 AND LADDER 10 IN LOWER MANHATTAN.
Thanks to Edward A. Blumberg, Capt. FDNY (Hon.), Michael Martinelli of FDNYTrucks.com, and the FDNY George F. Mand Library for providing vintage photos.